recent posts at the new blog :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Yup, this blog is on the move. All the news is now at :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Here is a sneak peak at what is happening over there.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Family Day

Posting from: MarKuel, Khabarovsk, Russia
Local time: 4:11 pm, Tuesday September 12, 2006 – Family Day

Today the Chandler Family became official with the finalization of the adoption decree and the issue of amended birth certificates showing their additional names and naming Jamie and I as parents. Legally, we are finished, though I won’t truly relax until we clear customs in Chicago.

Yesterday was a really hard day. Jamie was flat on his back all day and the weather prevented outings and the children refined and polished their trouble-making skills. After crying and praying myself to sleep I woke up with a really useful idea. Each morning the children are issued tickets (drawn on index cards) good for the following privileges:

  • Chocolate wafer cookies with their post-nap yogurt
  • A sweetie after the dinner dishes are done
  • A bath
  • An outing
  • A video before bed - LeapPad's Letter Factory is the current favorite

When they chose defiant behavior, they have to surrender a card of my choosing. Ooops! Even as I typed this they snuck a forbidden item off our dresser and lost their sweetie-after-dinner.

Jamie is feeling a wee bit better, but not enough to really do much with the children.

When we were here last spring the director of the orphanage let us see some pictures from Andy’s other orphanage. Every time we were at the orphanage this time, I asked about the pics but they didn’t exist, had been given to the facilitator to give to us, or had never existed – depending on who I asked. Today I asked our facilitator again; she called and was told they had never existed. We went over there. The photo book is now in our possession.

18 comments:

Don Holmes said...

Yhpee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAD - badk to bed in is 12:20 a.m.

Shelby said...

Oh they're just precious! I've been so waiting for pictures. Have a great trip home!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful kids! Thanks so much for the lovely pics!
I'm glad you thought of the "reward token" method as I've been mulling it around in my brain these past few days. We have teenagers now, but for many years I used this system to help my kids realize they had choices and control over both their behaviour and the outcomes. I was going to suggest the tokens but wasn't sure if you had the supplies to make that happen where you are (we used bingo chips for durability)or if you wanted children who were new to the whole "Mom and Dad are in control" family routine.
BTW, you may want to adapt this system for tv viewing once home. I made "tv tokens" in half hour increments and gave our kids 7 hours worth each week. They got to choose when to use them: 4 tokens in a bunch to watch a long movie or just one if it was a half hour show. It lets them feel they have some control over their life choices and leads to independent decision making.
Enjoy this special time together. It sounds like you are eating like royalty!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, what absolutely beautiful children. Thanks so much for sharing the pics and congrats on the final paperwork! You are alsmost home. You and D continue to be our prayers.

Deb said...

I hope Jamie feels better today. Your card system sounds like a good idea. I hope it helps there behavior.
And they are just precious.

Carolina Mama said...

Congratulations the children are gorgeous! Really cute! Thanks for sharing. The rewards sound so perfect especially for their ages. Thinking of you all and here's to Jamie feeling better. Blessings to the beautiful family!

6blessings said...

Hip Hip Hooray! PICTURES!! They are absolutely precious! Beautiful children! You have a great discipline system going. Keep it up and be consistent. Hope Jamie is better soon.

Suz said...

Yay! A&J pics!! They are just precious. Andy is much bigger than I had pictured in my mind but Julianna looks almost exactly how I had her pictured in my mind!

You're doing a great job Mommy & Daddy!! I hope Jamie feels better soon.

Chelsea said...

They are beautiful. I am so happy for you!

kate said...

Congratulations!! I'm glad it's official--but understand you not resting until you're HOME.

And thanks for posting what we all wanted--PICTURES! They're just precious.

Kevin McEntee said...

They are beautiful! And congratulations!!!! I am so thrilled for you. Looking forward to hearing how your trip to Moscow goes. Take care! Sandy

Anonymous said...

Oh Suzanne, they're beautiful!!! Sounds like you've been watching Nanny 911. Let us know how the cards work - they sound like a great idea. Not much longer now!

j said...

I am glad to hear that your sweeties have so much spirit! It certainly takes a toll on Mommy and Daddy though.(ack!) They are both so beautiful and I can't wait to meet them. Congratulations on the end of that incredible paper trail. Love J

Anonymous said...

Your kids are so adorable! Thanks for sharing. I have been following your blog for a while and have never commented. It sounds like you have a lot of great ideas for raising your kids.
My husband and I are in the process ourselves of adopting siblings from Novosibirsk, Russia. Our dossier has been in Russia about 4 1/2 months now and we are hoping for a referral call soon.
Our website is:
web.mac.com/jmartin7100
Please visit if you ever find a free moment! =0)

Melissa said...

omg, they are cutie patuties. This was a pleasant end to my exhausting day. I am soo happy for you both. I can't wait until you are all on US soil.

Anonymous said...

OMG ... they're sooo cute !!! I bet you can't wait to get them home.

A Room to Grow said...

so cute suzanne! it's fun to see their pics after waiting this long. i like your idea about the token system. hoping that jamie feels better for your trip to moscow!

Jennefer said...

Gorgeous children! The card idea is a good one. I might steal it.