recent posts at the new blog :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Yup, this blog is on the move. All the news is now at :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Here is a sneak peak at what is happening over there.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Sticks and Nettles

We live on five acres shaped like a long skinny chocolate bar. On the back acres are trees and a meadow. This portion adjoins all the neighbors' trees and meadows. No one lives back there, but someone (we are still trying to figure out who) comes through all the parcels now-and-then with a brush hog. A brush hog, for you city-folk, is the Papa of all Lawn Mowers and easily cuts blackberries, shrubs and small trees. The brush hog path makes for a lovely walking trail that covers several acres, including a cedar grove full of mossy logs to walk on and slip off of, mushrooms to whack, birds to spot, and many secret nooks.

Today we took the children, the dogs, and our one adventuresome cat (the other kitty was doing her nails) on an outing to the back acres. We learned the joys and cautions of whacking branches with a stick, what nettles look like, and why one should pay close attention when Mama and Papa are warning one about nettles.

Yesterday we bought Juliana her first own dolly. She chose a soft pink newborn and it has been very fun to watch her coo and cuddle with it. Also yesterday, Andy climbed (with my help) his first tree. I boosted him up once and then set him to it. He was not able to get back in by himself, though he tried hard. He has good leg muscles, but no upper body strength. I am hoping to keep him trying the tree on a daily basis until he makes it.

We skipped naps yesterday and put them to bed a bit early and they awoke a bit late. It is nice to have this option, though I don't think I want to try it two days in a row.

The children are asleep and I have to choose between napping, showering, and blogging. Bye.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

How great, your own nature trail. It sounds like the kids are doing well. I agree with you. After several more tries, Andy should make it to the top.

Unknown said...

That sounds so great! My husband and I are waiting for our referral from Russia and I found your blog. It is so nice to read about kids that are home and doing well!

Anonymous said...

I was away from my computer for about a week now ... it was so nice to come here and find such wonderful posts.

I have one question. You brought it up a while ago ... you said that Juliana didn't seem as old as they claimed. When you went to UofW, did the doctor tell you what his impression of her age was?

Take care ... and many more happy memories :-) ... melissa

Anonymous said...

HI, my brother& his wife are waiting for their little boy to come home from Russia, the referral papers were signed earlier this week, I think all they are waiting for now is a travel date. It's been a long emotional journey for them, I have tried my best to be there for them, to support, encourage, be a shoulder to cry on, but I feel like there's more I could do, I just don't know what. Do you or any other adoption bloggers have any advice for the extended family? I am the only extended family living near them, I have a little boy myself who is just a little older than their son, any advice from people who have BTDT would be really appreciated. I wish I could make this easier for them, I dearly want to help when he gets home, but I want to give them space too, time to be together, to get to know each other, to share all of the love they have been storing up, it mightbe selfish of me but I want to be in on that too, I'm crying as I write this, I desperately want that little boy to be with his Mom & Dad NOW, they've struggled so hard with ART and now the epic adoption journey, they will be fantastic parents. Oh I'm going on and on, the main point of all this is - how can I help? Thanks!