recent posts at the new blog :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Yup, this blog is on the move. All the news is now at :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Here is a sneak peak at what is happening over there.

Friday, November 24, 2006

a word to the wise . . .

Okay, so if you are in a restaurant and they bring you clam chowder and you think," hmmm, it's yummy, but something is wrong here", pursue that thought! Don't let yourself get distracted with portioning out the children's plates or with the conversation at hand. Stop and ask yourself, "what is wrong?" You will then have a chance of noticing that it is clam chowder at room temperature and then your Master Food Preserver and Safety Advisor training will kick in and inform you that a dairy and seafood dish must be kept piping hot for food safety reasons. Once you realize this, you will refrain from eating the soup and save yourself from hours of misery. Trust me on this; I learned it the hard way.

5 comments:

Jennefer said...

Ugh! Sorry you are not feeling well from the soup! I think we trust restaurants too much. We just assume that if they are selling food (and want to stay in business) and we are paying for it (usually a lot compared to the same food at the grocery), it will be safe to eat. But, you are right we should be careful.

Melissa said...

I hope you feel better soon. Food poisoning stinks. A few months back I got sick from a panini at Panera Bread. I will never dine there again.

I am glad Thanksgiving went so well for you and your family. I hope to have V home soon.

Elle said...

Ooooo, ouch. Sorry bout that.

Rhonda said...

You know, that's interesting. I've also been sick off of clam chowder and I haven't been able to eat it since. Every time I smell it, my stomach lurches. That is NO way to get sick.

Suz said...

Oh ick! I'm sorry you have had clam chowder revenge. Don't worry about me, though, I won't be having clam chowder ever ooooieee.