recent posts at the new blog :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Yup, this blog is on the move. All the news is now at :: Adventures in Daily Living ::

Here is a sneak peak at what is happening over there.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Tidbits yet again

Posting from: Khabarovsk
Local time: 1:45 pm on Thursday, September 7
Weather: clear and warm

While the children nap, I'll address a few questions and comments from the Remarks section and from my email box.

  • Yes, I made the borsht -- I practiced before we left home. The pelemini is in the frozen food case at the store. I have no idea what flavor we ate.
  • They seem to be getting a clue about the future. Andy has started to show interest in the picture book and last night was showing Juliana their future beds.
  • They are usually very nice to each other, sharing and helping. Andy does enjoy teasing her more than I would like, but I am rather teasing-intolerant in general.
  • We figured out that the problem with the borsht is that zupa (soup) is a lunch item and we had tried to serve it at dinner. When we served it at lunch time, it was a hit. Today we had miso, which Andy loved and Juliana hated. I have the fixings for chicken soup for tomorrow.
  • They answer to their new names, but when meeting new people they introduce themselves with their old names.
  • Though they love the bath they both burst into tears, recoil, and whimper when I pick up the spray. I set the sprayer on low and the temperature on warm and they very slowly and tremulously test it. When they confirm it is okay, we spray. Each and every time, though, they are afraid of it at first. Poor tykes. I do love it that they are willing to trust me enough to try it. I’ll know we are making good progress when they don’t have to test it each time.
  • Eating: they eat a lot and are thrilled to be able to get second/thirds. Andy is really thin and has virtually no muscles, so we are pleased to see him clean his plate 2-3 times a meal. They usually will pour some of their drinking water into their yogurt cup or soup bowl in order to get the last drops.
  • Language: All this is language that we’ve learned in less than 48 hours. Imagine how much we will have by the time we come home!
    • Words they use now: Please, thank you, more please, I love you, good afternoon, mama, papa, okay.
    • Words we use that they understand, but don’t yet say: socks, shoes, kitty, give to mama/papa, come to mama/papa, pajamas, pillow, sit, don’t touch, bed, sleep, stop, yes, no, good boy, good girl, hurry, pick up your toys, time for breakfast/lunch/snack/dinner, make your bed (they did this without being asked this morning J), clear the table, leave the kitchen, take a bath, bubbles, it’s okay, no.
    • We recognize the Russian words for: bath, walk, give, hungry, pillow, teeth (they love to brush them, btw), shoes, small, mouse, dog, cat, cereal/rice, juice, poo and pee.

A few observations for those of you adopting older children.

  • The first day was really hard, but life is steadily improving. Everything has just changed for these guys and they have no way of knowing whether or not behavior expectations are included in this change. When they started to see discipline (we are using TakeAway) their behavior improved a lot.
  • If you are debating between one child or two, here are some thoughts about two. We think it is much easier on them and on us too, as they have a playmate and an ally. Though not biologically related, they have been living as siblings in their group all along, and the transition is natural. If you are considering two, I would suggest that asking for two from one group may be more significant than asking for two with shared genes.
  • Don’t forget forts. Any living room can be transformed into a fort to their endless delight and amusement. Forts, as you may recall, have to be built and rebuilt a zillion times and will keep your children happily occupied for hours.

Our cool thing of the day: Andy asked us how to say something in English. This was the first time he has made a move to adapt his communication to us. Prior to this, everything was just repeated with hyper-clear enunciation. I think he has decided that we are too dumb to ever understand Russian, so he may have to resort to English.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Suzanne,

It is so wonderful to hear how well your little ones are adjusting in such a short period of time. Love love love the updates. You guys continue to be in my prayers.

Anonymous said...

We are reading your blogs and marveling at every one. What happy family memories you are making. Hugs to 4 Chandlers from 5 Harrisons.
ps i miss u, j

Anonymous said...

Suzanne:
So happy that things are going well for you all. We are happily home now and I am trying to get caught up with everyone's blogs. Know you all remain in our thoughts and prayers! Sending our love to you, Jaime and the kids.....
Cathy, Nick and the herd :o)

Maggie said...

It sounds like things are going great. I'm glad they're good eaters. I had a lot of trouble with that with my host child.

6blessings said...

Boy, it sounds like they are doing really well. Older children do take extra care and bring in a whole different set of challenges. You seem to be handling all of them well. They sure have learned a lot of English is such a short time. If they understand Mama and Papa don't speak Russian, you are way ahead of the game. We still aren't sure ours understand that fact. They still rattle off to us all of the time and expect us to understand. We've told them over and over that we don't speak Russian, but they just grin at us. Oh well!!

Jennefer said...

Adopting two kids at once does have its advantages. I am sure they love having each other!

kate said...

Thanks for continuing to share the melding together of your family--and for the insights into adopting two. Keep up the good work! Mala dietz, Mama e Papa! (Vaguely phonetic for "Well done!)

Kevin McEntee said...

Thanks for all the tidbits! I especially like hearing about what you're making for them to eat (and finding out what's available in Russia). Yes, I agree that two is easier than one.... I find that with my twins all the time. =)

You'll be so happy a few years down the road that you are writing down all the tidbits... it's so easy to forget them if you don't write them. I have a diary of the early times with the twins and I'm so glad I kept it. I don't write in it nearly as much now as I want to. In reading my entries I realize how much I've forgotten and I'm so glad that I chose to write it down. Your children will really enjoy it later too. Take care! Sandy

Anonymous said...

Bad news-- we are still afraid of the shower sprayer at our house and must still always test it. Sounds perfectly normal! :-) We love "living" the details with you and you are constantly in our prayers.
Love, Jenny

Carolina Mama said...

You all are such great and fun parents! And your common sense with it is quick. Thanks for the word up on adopting two. We just know we want to and want them to carry that bond. Glad to hear your advice on two from the same group! Since you mentioned their names and them referring to their other names. Can you share how you all decided to name them and change, etc.? Something to think about. Recommendations. Of course, "in your free time!" :)Thanks! Have fun!

Melissa said...

How did his haircut go? Seems life is moving along more smoothly. I am glad that you mentioned about 2 being a little easier on them. That is what I figured, but there is no way to know for sure until you get them. I can't wait for mine.